Thursday, October 29, 2015

Tara Burgess- Blog #1

Routman- Chapter 5--- Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

     I choose to read and respond to this chapter first because this is something that I have been working on over the last 6 months.  Last year especially, I noticed how my class didn't seem to use my classroom library like I would like.  I believe that this was due to the fact that I didn't have my books organized in a way that made it easy for them to find books they were interested in, the books I had were not the most current titles that students want to see and read, the rug I had was only big enough for about four people to use comfortably, and books were not leveled.  I decided that I needed to do something to bring my classroom library back to life.  Over the summer I got a new big rug, four new book shelves, and baskets galore.  I set up baskets by genre and labeled every book by genre and its level.  I am working on gaining new, current books that will draw students in.  Today my students enjoy being in our classroom library to read and select books to read, but I know it can be better.
     In this chapter, the importance of a classroom library is discussed.  One statement that was made that I 100 percent believe is that "books contribute more strongly to reading achievement than any computer software does".  Nothing is better than holding the printed word in your hand and having it come to life right in front of you.  The love of reading can't be developed or encouraged if you don't have the correct materials--- a ton of books.  This chapter also states that an excellent library will have over one thousand books. I am not sure that I agree with one thousand for a classroom of 20 students when the school has a library as well.  I think it is important to have the books easily available in the school for students to get, which I think Roebuck does well through our school library and classroom libraries.
    One thing mentioned that I think would be great to do is have the school library open during the summer at times for kids to come and get books.  When kids are home over the summer, books are not usually on their minds because of the lack of books available to them on their level at home.  Opening the library occasionally would give them a place to get books and remind them of the importance of reading year round--- not just during school months.
 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that a large classroom library would be the most motivating factor for students to read. I love that you worked on this area of your classroom and the students are enjoying it better. Every teacher needs to add or weed out books according to their students' interests so that their library reflects and feeds its readers. Readers also need to share the love so to speak so that as they read they can turn others on to the books that you have available. They can also guide you as to which books you may want to include in your library. The love of books, real books, will never go out of style, that way when storms come or the internet is out, students still can curl up with a good book and enjoy a simply good life.

    ReplyDelete