Thursday, October 29, 2015

JP Pohl   Blog #1
Routman--Chapter 5 Organizing and Oustanding Classroom Library

I started with this chapter because I am still trying to organize my classroom library because it is a hot mess. I really wanted to see if the chapter could advise me how to organize the tubs in a less stressful but simpler way.

I am currently in the process of trying to make it inviting as I have completed a Donors Choose grant in hopes of obtaining cushions that the children can move around the room so that they may enjoy independent reading. I have made a bookshelf to display and attempt to entice my students to read more. I have the usual tubs: fiction, non-fiction, animals and holidays. I never thought about magazines or comics being included into book tubs so that is my take away; create a tub to store comics and magazines.

I was so glad to read about "light reading". I knew of "light reading", for me, but never expressed my thoughts or allowed my students to enjoy this type of reading because I always thought the students needed to be submerged into new texts. When I read this I thought about my reading and how for the last couple of years, I have started my summer vacation by reading "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. I absolutely love, love, love this book. Even though I know what's going to happen, I still laugh and cry at certain parts. And to think if I like to read the same story over and over, how do you think the students are going to feel when they can successfully read a story from beginning to end. What better way to build a confident reader!

This was a great chapter with awesome information.

2 comments:

  1. Classroom libraries show students how important reading is and feed them in the process. I am excited about your grant and would be happy to help you work out the kinks. Remember too that the author suggests that students help. Yes, first graders can sometimes make more of a mess but finding how they can help will create the buy-in that is necessary. If you need some light reading, you can look into magazines from the media center that are out of date or use some of your classroom budget to purchase magazine subscriptions to enhance your library with more options. Please let me know if I can help in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you are expanding the genres in your library to include comics and magazines!

    ReplyDelete