Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Jeanna Tate - blog 2/ Section 2 Debbie Miller's Why Not? What Works?

                                                                                                

        Section 2 Debbie Miller’s
Why Not? What Works? Why Independent Reading Matters and the Best Practices to Support It

          This section did a super job of explaining what should take place for independent reading to be effective.  Of course it all begins with the opportunity to read within the classroom. If we as teachers believe in this, then we must plan the time for IR daily.  The time must be consistent and supported each day. 
           As a teacher, I often wonder what is the appropriate amount of time for IR?  Lewis and Samuels, 2005 states, “there is no clear cut answer to the question of how much time for IR is optimal…but the answer may well depend upon the reader’s proficiency”. It all makes sense!  I had a student last year reading on a 2.3 level in September.  Most of the other students at this time knew a few sight words and could track print.  The student reading on a 2.3 level and comprehending it well was able to sustain her attention and read for much longer periods of time compared with those reading few words.  The teacher must constantly monitor and adjust to try to choose the optimal amount of time for IR. 
          I feel confident my classroom library is inviting to students and levels and genres are varied.  Students have the opportunity to self select for their book bags and make choices when visiting the library.  I must agree when I am allowed to choose what I read, I am more excited and motivated.  Allowing students to choose what they read in and outside the classroom is the key to having them fall in love with reading and the motivator for them reading for all purposes and not just reading because it is a requirement. 
          I feel our classroom libraries at RES are looking good.  I am not sure we have all met the goal of 50% fiction and 50% informational but I think we are moving in the right direction.  The grant I received last spring put many informational texts from community helpers to animal books in the hands of my students.  Libraries are a work in progress! 

          While all the above is important, teachers must confer, support, and hold students accountable for IR. Each day I feel I am on step closer and a little more confident with IR.  I love nothing more than to have one of my little students to be so eager to read to me or share with their classmates what they have read.  It is the greatest reward!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that our classroom libraries are definitely making progress and they are the fuel to drive our Independent Reading time. I've seen your students in the media center excited about books and literacy experiences. Isn't it wonderful! I love watching kindergarten students because they are so excited about the book that they picked and see things that they are interested in. That is something that we can continue to use to keep adding to our libraries the books they want to read and encourage independent reading and increase their stamina through all grade levels. That is the joy that will transform our school in a deeper way not just in test scores!

    ReplyDelete