Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Elaine Wilkins - Blog #2 Routmann: Chapter 3 Sharing Your Reading Life

It never occurred to me the importance of sharing my reading life with my students.

For the past 10 years, I've been pursuing my degrees or taking courses not leaving much time for recreational reading because the courses I took were heavy reading courses.  I do love to read and do most of my reading during school breaks and holidays.  Depending on the book size I'd average 2 books a week.

I read just about everything self-help, novels, do-it-yourself, religion.  My sister and I would read books and take every week about what we were reading.  Then when family reunion time came we'd each show up with a box of books to trade.  She passed away last spring and it saddens me that I can't share my reading with her and I don't have anyone to trade books with.  So I think I've read less this year.

I do however, share my favorite children's books/authors with the students.  I have a lot of them.  I think just about everyday I say "This is one of my favorite authors".  I love reading these books to the children and enjoy how they are so engrossed in the story as I read.  I think this is the only time that they sit still and quiet.  And when I'm done reading they know that we're going to talk about it and that they are going to be doing some writing about it (depending) on the topic.

So, I guess my goal is to share more of my reading life with my students.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! I think that is why sharing your reading life is important in the classroom. It reveals so much more of us as people. It adds another dimension, something that students can connect to---a personal side that is meaningful and real. Kids always seem to pick up on those kinds of things until we teach them somewhere along the line not to care any more. It is so important that they do care and that we are willing to go to that tender place with them. They connect in ways well beyond the pages of a book and become readers because of the experience. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elaine, that is a touching story! I hope you can find healing in your books again one day--even if the time is not just yet. Another blog I read reminded me that our professional reading still counts for our reading life. I usually just think about my recreational reading too!

    ReplyDelete