Thursday, October 29, 2015

Brittany Wright- Blog Post #1 (Ch.3 Routman)


After reading this chapter I realize how important it is to be a reader and share what I am reading if I am going to expect that my students become readers and grow the same love for reading. I hate to say that I do not do this as much as I should. I share with my students my favorite children’s book authors and what my favorite books where when I was in school. I have never thought it to be relevant until reading this chapter that I should be sharing with my students what I read in my personal life. I have always been a part of either bible studies or book clubs where I am constantly immersed in reading. I love to read for pleasure! A confession I have is about maintaining a reading record. I would not be able to share my personal reading record with my students’ because I have not been keeping one. I now wish I would have been after seeing how powerful its model can be. I love the quote by Routman that says, “My reading record is one of my most prized possessions. It is my history as a reader.” I never thought of it in that way. It is a true written record of everything I have ever read and learned from. I will definitely be trying to go back and make a list to add to in the future.

                Sometimes as teachers we try to complicate lessons much more than they need to be. If we just brought into our classrooms what we love and taught the way we learned best It would be best practice. Some of my best lessons have been about things that I am very interested in. If I’m not excited about something I am teaching the kids aren’t going to be excited about it either. Routman says, “Think about what gives you pleasure as a reader, and bring that into the classroom.” That statement couldn’t be truer. Simplify and do what you love and it will reflect through your students. 

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about my reading record when I read this so I started one. It is just a simple composition notebook that I decorated. I jot down entries as I finish books as well as books that I want to read. I hope to use it more by making daily entries as I read so that I can remember what I read better. As you read for your own pleasure and books that your students may like, this record truly help to inspire them to love to read in a simple way which is ideal for everyone concerned.

    ReplyDelete