Saturday, October 3, 2015

Lori Henke - Ch. 5- Organizing an Outstanding Classroom Library- Routman

           I loved reading this chapter!  I have my classroom library organized the way that I feel best suits my children, but I loved reading some of the ideas and suggestions in this section.  Although I pay attention to the interests of my students, and try to order books from the Scholastic book orders that I know the kids will enjoy, I really like the idea of letting the students make suggestions and make lists of books they would like us to have in our library. 
       I also really like the idea of the class Top Ten list.  I could see using this activity about 1/2 way through the year after students have had the chance to read and share books. 
       One activity that I have been doing this year, is that I will choose a book off of my shelf and read one or two chapters aloud to the class and then offer it up for someone to finish reading it as their goal book.  So far, this seems to be generating interest in the books I have chosen.  We even have a "waiting list" for some books right now! My students have also started bringing in books from home for me to start reading to the class!  They are really enjoying it. 
       I also loved the suggestion of using the rain gutters attached to the wall to display books!  I know that probably wouldn't be feasible in our classrooms, but I really liked the idea!

2 comments:

  1. It is great that you really connected to this chapter about the library in a way that will have lasting effects! The ideas like the Top Ten list and the teasers with the first chapters are truly tricks up your sleeve for continued engagement. I truly believe that once students enjoy and are excited about reading, we as teachers can have fun with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "chapter preview" idea and the resulting waiting list. It's all about building that love of reading!

    ReplyDelete