Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Nolan Blog Post #1 Teach with a Sense of Urgency

I read Chapter 4 "Teach with a Sense of Urgency" by Routman.  I enjoy and agreed with many aspects of this chapter.   I agree that as teachers we know our students.  We know where they are and where they need to be.  Often times when we are explaining how we get them from point A to point B we often leave out evaluation.  In my personal classroom I assess my students often.  I use running records, DRA, and weekly comprehension checks.  I typically am able to move my students reading groups around every few weeks because I have students who are ready to move up to the next level.  I like how they mention working toward independence.  I do guided reading, shared reading, read alouds, phonics practice and so much more.  I boost my kids confidence and they enjoy reading.  However, I tend to forget about them leading the lessons.  I know during centers when I observe they enjoy being the teacher and "teaching" their peers how to play a game or about a new concept.  I think they would really enjoy student-led teaching and having them move forward to that next level.

2 comments:

  1. It is so important that all of these assessments that we do guide our instruction and help move students to independence. The flexibility of your instruction and groupings really validates them as they grow, which is so beneficial for continued growth. I do agree that allowing them to take the lead through teaching their peers and also through the use of inquiry standards, you will see greater gains in insights, confidence, and independence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, formative evaluations are part of knowing our students and teaching with urgency! Your idea to use more student-led teaching is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete