Monday, October 19, 2015

Angie Smith’s Blog Post 1: Miller Section 1: Not This: Is there Enough Time? And is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?

Just like most teachers I often find myself asking, “Where can I find more time in the instructional day?  If only I had one more hour.  Thirty more minutes.”   Miller’s question “What benches are you guarding?” was a powerful question that I needed to ask myself.  As Miller worked through the course of a school day, I reflected on my practices as a teacher, and the value of those practices for my students.  I realized that there are “benches” that I have been guarding that are not necessary.  I realized that there are precious moments in my day that could be better spent elsewhere, including reading.  


I have to admit that I struggle with independent reading time in my classroom.  Most of my students really do not know what to do with a book.  They already have a sense that they cannot read the words, so they quickly flip through the pictures.  Some do not have the stamina to peruse a book for more than thirty seconds.  After I read this section, I sat and thought about what independent reading could/should look like inside my classroom of special needs students.  Through focus lessons, I can continue to teach my students how to picture walk and think about the text.  During conferencing I can focus on my students’ ability to communicate what they are “reading.”  I truly believe that this will build inside them a desire to read, and thus improve their success in becoming independent readers. 

2 comments:

  1. I love that you found a way to be there for your students where they are! So much can be gained by pictures and your modeling will help them to increase their skill and stamina. They will also come to enjoy their "reading" time more as well. With that they will continue to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas for your students who don't yet have the stamina to sit and read books for extended periods of time. I, too, still have some of those students and need to work on picture walking skills. I also need some much lower leveled books for those students as well.

    ReplyDelete