Saturday, October 24, 2015

Karen Parker- Blog Post 3:  Sharing Your Reading Life
    Some of the suggestions of how to share your reading life with your students have happened in my classrooms by accident.  In the beginning of the year, while sharing a "Get to Know Me" bag, I always have the book that I am reading.  I talk about how I love to sit on my back porch and read.  Last year, I told them a little about the book I was reading and they were very interested!  The conversation went on a little longer than expected, but maybe it planted a seed of lifelong reading.  I didn't think at the time that I should purposefully include these anecdotes in the beginning of the year, but now I will.  The book also suggests showing the students a reading record.  There could a lot of creative ways to let students know what you're reading, like part of a reading board.  I have had a suggestion board in the past, and I may have to bring it back!

2 comments:

  1. I love the thought of you sharing your life as a reader. It is so important that students see that we choose to read as we hope they choose to as well. Times spent sharing gives them insights and permission to imagine books as something wonderful to be enjoyed especially if they come from a household where reading doesn't naturally take place. Allowing students to share their reading experiences and recommendations is another way to continue to feed the desire to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love those "happy accidents"? I like to call it responsive teaching. :-)

    ReplyDelete