Monday, October 19, 2015

Brandi Nolan's Blog 2: Routman, Ch. 5: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

         In Routman's book Reading Essentials, I read chapter 5 Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library.  He made many great points about how to set up the library and that you should have at least 200 books. As this chapter points out many students from low-income families do not have books in their house.  Therefore, having an abundance of books in the classroom for them to choose is so important in order to balance out the face that they do not have books at home.  I think it is difficult to set up book bags for them to take home because often times the books do not come back.  As Routman pointed out the state often spends so much money on test prep and commercial programs that they do give the teachers any money for classroom books.  It is difficult to keep spending your own money and not have the books returned to class.
        I think it is so important for the students to take ownership of the classroom library.  I like the idea of having them help you set up the library. I would love to start the top 10 list in my classroom and have my students begin to recommend books to their peers.  I like Routmann's idea of showing the kids The New York Times Book Review and having them create their own lists. My students love to lay down while reading.  They love using the bean bags and the foam couch to sit on.  I would like to add to my library in the future by including blankets and other plush surfaces for them to sit on while reading.
      Overall, I learned about how to better organize my library and not to focus so much on levels but rather teach the student's how to find a "just right" book so that they do not label themselves as "Level 8 Johnny." I will continue to provide a comfortable place for them to read and to continue adding more books to my library that interest them based on their top ten lists.

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than a great library to encourage kids to read! It is like that time we spend at Barnes and Noble going shelf to shelf amazed at all that is available. I'm not saying that we have to create a library that elaborate, but we do want students to feel that they have a multitude of opportunities that they can enjoy. That is why Routman encourages student input--books they would enjoy organized in a way that makes them accessible. Taking away the roadblocks so that they can just read what they want to read. Then by adding the book reviews you truly create a culture of readers who share experiences and opportunities. That will transform a classroom and all of the readers in it--including the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you want your kids to pick just-right books without labeling themselves by a level--we definitely don't want that! Also, your questions about sending books home are valid. Are there other ways we can make sure students have access to books? Can we use e-resources, class-authored books, or books students make themselves? Lots to think about--nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the idea of the top 10 list too and would like to incorporate that into my classroom as well. Since we teach so many levels, we need huge libraries. I am excited to receive the new book sets and hope to continue to grow my library through yard sales, flea markets, and Donors Choose. I also agree with the levels. I just want my students to identify themselves as readers, no matter their level.

    ReplyDelete