Friday, October 23, 2015

Carol Talanges - Post 2 - Miller

       I read chapter two of No More Independent Reading Without Support for this month’s blog. I was as first overwhelmed by all the different terminology for our “independent reading” times. The different names and structures for reading are some reasons that teachers are turned off from independent reading strategies. Reading is never about a name or program it is about children reading and loving to read. It is about challenging children and conferencing with them to send individual goals and helping them achieve all their goals.
        I love that the section mentioned that students must read within a wide range of genres. I have found that my students this year are “stuck” on one genre or series and this month’s goal is to try another genre and give other types of test a chance.

       Another interesting section was the amount of reading time for students. The book stated that low readers seem to benefit more from shorter time periods independently reading. It stated that a study showed that students who read 15 minutes had more improved skills than those who read 40. I struggled with this and even the book states more research needs to be done. I do see that my low readers lose interest faster, so I believe that I am going to shorten their time and then engage them in reading with a small group or partner read to keep them interesting during our reading block. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is a wonderful idea to track your struggling students so that when their stamina naturally gives out, you provide them with a different reading opportunity in small group. That is respectful of their needs and gives them a supportive alternative while others can continue with their independent reading according to their increased stamina. I do agree that students should be able to choose according to their interests but when they do get stuck on a genre or a series, it is beneficial for us to give them a taste of something else they may like. That is where it is important for the teacher to be a reader as well. Then a book the teacher reads becomes an interesting topic and can lead to wider choices and therefore greater ability in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated that Miller & Moss defined all those different terms--and explained that intentional instruction was what set IR apart from the other structures! What a powerful sentence: "Reading is never about a name or program it is about children reading and loving to read." :-)

    ReplyDelete