Thursday, October 29, 2015

Miller- Chapter 1- October Blog (Manderfield)

Blog Post October

In Miller’s first section, “Is There Enough Time? And Is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?” it really hit me how much wasted time I spend in class each day.  Although, I know I’m not the only one, this chapter really made me step back and analyze things I need to work on in my classroom.  I feel like adjusting and making your classroom better is an endless cycle as we constantly are putting more and more thought into how to better our classrooms to help our students. 
            I had to laugh at quite a few parts during this chapter, because I have already created some of these habits of unsuccessfully managing my time as a teacher.  Not only do I do some of these things in my classroom, but I remember many of my teachers doing some of these things too.  However, until we grow professionally, you may be doing these things unintentionally.  There are so many precious minutes that could be spent teaching or in this case, independently reading, while they are wasted away taking 15 minutes to pack up at the end of the day, calling students to line up by category, or taking twenty plus minutes doing a calendar activity. 
            It’s important to re-adjust your schedule after reading a professional book like this; I feel that teachers are also always learning and growing just like our students are.  This is something I definitely need to work on in my own classroom and figure out where I can create more time. 
            This was a perfect chapter for me to choose to read because lately I have been thinking about my time management in classroom and always thinking that there is “never enough time in the day to get everything done.”  I definitely need to use my time more wisely in order to create more instructional time for my students. 
            One point that stuck out to me while reading was the fact that independent reading and conferencing should be a separate time from guided reading and rotations.  Independent reading is more valued and more of a learning experience when it is quiet, and everyone is doing the same thing.  That way, you are free to move around the room and conference with different students, while creating teaching moments right then and there.

            I found this chapter to be an encouragement and eye-opener for my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. It is funny that we often teach the way we were taught so even a new teacher may do things that are not the best use of our time. As you said, it is so important that we continue to grow professionally and that comes from reading and reflecting on professional development then looking for ways to apply the new concepts in our every day lives. It is definitely true that you can't manage independent reading and guiding reading at the same time since true independent reading requires conferencing and more individualized support for your readers. No matter how long you are teaching, it is essential to continue to reflect on your practices and the needs of your students in order to achieve the most growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a reflective practitioner is indeed an endless cycle. It's my favorite part of teaching--you can renew yourself and your practice based on reflection whenever you like! :-)

    ReplyDelete