Friday, October 30, 2015

Kristin Roddy- Miller Section 1: Not This: Is There Enough Time? And Is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?

There is never enough time in the day to get everything done and more importantly, done effectively. I am constantly asking myself if I have achieved the quality of the lesson that I had initially hoped. It is always our intentions to go into each day ready to conquer the world. We want to positively impact our students' lives daily. We want to ignite that spark of interest within each of them. However, with the lack of time our days and sometime even our morale has become more of a "just survive the day" feeling.
It was not necessary when Miller began to describe the lack of time in the school day.This is nothing that any of us have not heard before a million times over. What I did like about the chapter was that it opened my eyes to some of the small routines I do each day that actually are wasting precious time. It had me thinking about transitions, morning work, and things like the morning show. One day after reading this chapter I kept track of the time we spent just changing from one subject's notebook to the next. 12 minutes! We lost 12 precious minutes just having to stop and get out each subject's notebook in order to make it through our day. Well, we now have binders!
It is my personal goal this year to make sure I am able to eliminate all unnecessary things in the classroom. We don't have a minute to spare, and I don't want to throw away time on small petty things like irrelevant morning work. Most of the time we don't have time to even review the morning work. So truthfully, how beneficial can it be?

2 comments:

  1. It is truly amazing when we add up all of the wasted time, isn't it? That is the challenge--to look honestly and then be brave enough to say what is a waste of time. If we know that independent reading with support will bring the highest return and irrelevant morning work brings little or no return, the choice becomes clear. I love that you saw the need and then made the changes. That, my friend, is what effective teachers do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You literally timed that notebook transition and you made a decision to change that practice to save time--nice job being a reflective practitioner!

    ReplyDelete