Sunday, October 18, 2015

Blog Post 2: Hannah Keever Routman Chap. 5 Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

After reading chapter 5, I felt like I am on the right track with my classroom library.  I have purchased tons of books that are high interest books for my students, are multi-cultural, and are on a variety of reading levels.  My students enjoy getting to pick out books to read from the classroom library.  I have built connections with students over talking about books.  For example, one student was disappointed that I only had one Fly Guy book, so when I told him I would look for some to get for us, his face lit up.  The following week, when I actually brought in several that I had purchased he was so excited.  Building credibility with my students and showing them that I want them to develop a love for reading is crucial.  One thing that was mentioned in the chapter that I do not do well, is allowing students to take books home.  Routman refers to it as "Home-school literacy book packs."  The thought of letting my students take books home and possibly never return them makes me feel very uneasy.  If I look at the reasons why I feel this way, it is all selfish reasons.  I spent money on those books, I took the time to pick them out, I organized every. single. book. and put a label on them so the students would know where to return it. But, if I truly put my students and their learning first, I quickly realize that if one goes missing, it will be okay.  It may be one of the only books a student has at home, and if that one book is my book, then so be it.  Having an inviting classroom library, full of interesting books for the students is essential to their development as readers.  I need to continue to buy books to grow my library and offer my choices for my students.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are so in tune with your students and their interests! Who would have ever thought that Fly Guy would be such a hit? Really, no matter what it is, it is important that we give them permission to enjoy it without judgement or reservation. I too have lost many a book along the way. Yet to keep them "fed" it is a sacrifice that is necessary. It becomes a natural sharing that starts with you and hopefully gets passed on to other students in your class or family members. This kind of generosity comes back to us because we are spreading not just joy but success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That student will never forget that you brought more Fly Guy!! Your honesty about why you have limited students taking books home is refreshing. We all struggle with that. My heart just melted when I read: "It may be one of the only books a student has at home, and if that one book is my book, then so be it." :-)

    ReplyDelete