Friday, October 30, 2015

Lynn Flake Blog #2 --- Reading Essentials Chapter 5


I've put a ton of work into my classroom library, but I want to make sure that it isn't just something that looks great in my classroom, but is actually a good resource for my students. I picked this chapter because I was hoping to gain some validation, and maybe some new insights into a making meaningful library. I feel really good about my classroom reading spaces and practices. However, I feel like my students still prefer to go to the main library, or turn to technology for their reading purposes, despite all the new books I've added through grants.

I think that involving students in the design and organization process is a great idea. It would allow my students to take ownership of our library, and better understand the plethora of books available to them. I think I am also going to allow students to request books that they really enjoy or feel that they need. I really like the idea about doing an inventory sheet of what topics and authors the kids would like to have. I might start to focus on more nonfiction texts that relate to our standards. I'd really love to see my students using both books and technology for research. 

2 comments:

  1. This is where most teachers are after they establish a good classroom library. It is only as good as the motivation for students to use it. Their buy in makes or breaks it so getting their opinion is extremely important. Through the years we will naturally add and weed out books according to our students' interests. One way to do this is through conferencing. Another way is through Scholastic Book Club which will not only help you to know what they prefer but also make it affordable to purchase some books accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great ideas here for getting your kids engaged in your classroom library. I've worked with a few classes on reorganizing their libraries, and getting the kids involved in organizing it seems to be magical--as they sort all the books, they connect with them--and start hoarding them right then. It's pretty funny! :-)

    ReplyDelete