Sunday, November 29, 2015

 Jeanna Tate -  Blog #5
                                           Routman’s Chapter 3 – Share Your Reading Life


                When a fresh new school year begins I am both overwhelmed and excited about the challenge of teaching students to read!  Students come from such varying backgrounds and experiences I must take time to learn where each one is in their literary journey and where I need to meet them to fulfill their needs. I always share what I enjoy reading at school and at home.  I then have students tell me why we read and why reading is so important to each of us and chart their responses.  While reading Routman’s Chapter 3 I feel I should go more in depth with my students telling them why I choose to read what I do and how it is meaningful to me in my daily life.  When I stop to think of the various things I read in a day: newspaper, devotions, recipes, directions, literature to my class, student work, etc.,  I realize I probably could do a better job showing my students just what I do read each day and why it is necessary in my personal life as well as my professional life.  I like what Routman shared of one principal she worked with in the many schools she visits about books the students and teachers are reading.  “What is your “now” book and “next” book?” the principal would ask! I can see so many benefits from looking ahead to what you want to read next and how you can learn of new books and authors.  The reviews and book talks are so important to even the smallest kindergarten students.  I do encourage this in the classroom because it has worked so well for me.  I have students almost arguing over who will get a book next after someone has shared about a particular book. That’s one argument I don’t mind hearing within the classroom wall!  Students showing their love of reading! I like the reading log example used in this chapter for students.  It seems simple yet manageable for kindergartners.  I plan to implement this after Christmas break.  I found the statement about parents signing reading logs at home interesting.  I understand Routman’s point about busy schedules yet sometimes parents who aren’t educators just don’t realize the importance of reading to and with their children.  Educators make it a priority but some parents don’t. Hopefully, when teachers instill the love of reading and give students the tools they need to do so, they will read at home on their own whether parents are checking behind them or not.  I hope each of my boys and girls leave kindergarten with a love of reading and not believing it is just one more chore to check off each day! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that if our students love reading, then hopefully they will at home too. There is nothing better than hearing their excitement and thoughts about what they're reading. It sounds like it is contagious in your classroom these days!

    ReplyDelete