Monday, November 30, 2015

Brittany Wright- Routman ch.8

I chose to read this chapter on comprehension because it is a hard thing to teach and I wanted to learn more about how to do it effectively. I teach first grade so comprehension often seems to be the last thing that comes or something that I only work with my "higher" groups with. I am at this point just trying to get all of my students to be able to read. This was my original thought process. After reading this chapter it has caused me to sit back and think. How can I believe that a student knows how to read without comprehension. Isn't the whole point of reading, to understand and comprehend what it is we are reading. I have started to think deeply and gain a new perspective on how I am actually teaching reading to my students. While reading the section of this chapter that was headed with "Be Careful About How you Teach Comprehension" I felt a little guilty in that I have fallen into the mind set that teaching reading and teaching comprehension are separate. I have focused to much on teaching strategies but not as much on how to really apply those strategies. Routman says, "strategies are a tool for facilitating and extending comprehension" (p.119). Students need to understand how the strategies we teach them fit into the big picture of reading. Routman also says that the only way to enable students to use and practice these strategies is through independent reading.

After reading this chapter it has opened my eyes to how I need to change the way I teach comprehension. All of the things that I just often times assume students know how to do while they are reading, they don't. I need to spend a lot of time modeling these behaviors such as, self-monitoring, asking the right questions, using writing to recall key points, surveying texts before reading, and rereading. then I need to step back and allow them time to practice and interact with their peers. This will not only increase comprehension but also hopefully increase the enjoyment for students in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I realize that in primary grades it seems necessary to teach, teach, teach, but as you revealed, reading without meaning isn't really reading. Just working out the words creates a "word caller" not a "reader" which will hold them back later on. Fostering the "reading is thinking" model with them and then letting them do it, will create real readers who will enjoy it more and therefore do it more. That will start a wonderful cycle of meaningful reading experiences that will serve them well for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What a powerful revelation that comprehension is the point of reading! I wish we could help more early childhood stakeholders understand this!

    ReplyDelete