Saturday, November 21, 2015

Suzanne Lee December Blog Post #5 Chapter 6”Plan for and Monitor Independent Reading”

Suzanne Lee December Blog Post #5 Chapter 6”Plan for and Monitor Independent Reading”

 Routman makes some very good points about independent reading in this chapter.  At the beginning of this chapter she gives some seemingly simplistic advice.  She says that for students to become better readers, “they need to be doing more reading.”  I found myself thinking, “Well then, room K2 is rockin’ it.”  We have built our stamina to an average of 18 minutes a day.  Each day we come in from lunch, do a read aloud, and then go off with our bag of books, and read.  I am even conferencing with group daily and taking records!
   But wait, on the next page Routman goes on to inform us that “if student are reading mostly difficult books…not much changes.”  As I reflected, (yes, been doing a LOT of that lately) I thought about the things my students are reading.  Well, actually picture reading.  I asked, are my kids “staring at books they cannot read”?  When I conference with them, they can tell me a favorite part or where the story takes place.  Most can identify if it is real or make believe, but they really cannot read their choices.  As I typically do, I started worrying.  I asked myself how in the world these kindergarteners can become better readers if they cannot read the materials. 
 Later in the chapter, this topic is addressed.  She says that independent reading is” really time spent looking at books.”  She even suggests items for children to read.  Basically, a positive attitude toward reading is what we want to foster in kindergarten.  I agree; however, I have some students that are ready to be spending IR time reading texts.  My plan is to start purchasing more “just right” texts for my classroom library.

Most of the other points in this chapter clearly align with the Daily Five.  Routman discusses conferencing, writing, and partner reading.  I am so excited that there is such a connection with this chapter and my daily practice.  FINALLY! :)  However, I do have much room to grow…right along with my students.  Routman suggests letting students writing pieces be a part of the library.  I am going to set this as a monthly goal starting January.  She also mentioned beginning the day with reading, not a worksheet.  This hit home because I daily put a math review on their desks.  I may try the reading time in the morning soon.  I have tried it before, but found that many times my little ones want so badly to share right then that I cannot get the “management” things completed in a timely fashion.
Overall, I enjoyed this chapter.  As Mrs. Hankins always says, “You gotta find what works for you.  It’s a process.”  I agree.  It is a process…a worthwhile oneJ



1 comment:

  1. We all have room for improvement, which is exactly why we are doing this course. It isn't easy work reading about the ideals and examining our daily practices but how else do we strive for better for ourselves and our students. This process molds us and shapes our classrooms so that we keep that which serves our students well and scrutinize things that may not truly help them. We all are at different points in the journey which is why it is so important for us as a learning community to come together and help one another with understanding, compassion, as well as high expectations. Then RES and all its teachers will be effective and joyful in our work as we serve our students to the best of our ability as informed professionals who constantly seek growth in our field.

    ReplyDelete