Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hannah Keever Blog #5: Conferencing

I chose to write my fourth blog on conferencing because it is something that I am trying to implement in my classroom.  I am still working on how exactly this will look, but I feel like I am moving in the right direction.  So far, I conference with my students about their writing during our writer's workshop time.  I give my students the choice to write about whatever they would like.  This choice has kept my students engaged in their writing.  If I see a pattern that students are struggling with the same thing,  I will usually look for someone who is doing it correctly.  I use this to guide my mini lesson for the next day or during share time.  This has been a simple, yet very informative way to see where my students are and identify their needs as writers.

During my reading conferences, I have tried completing them during my daily five rotations, which I didn't like because I felt like it took time away from me reading with someone.  Next, I tried doing them during my independent reading time. This worked better because the students knew I was going around to talk to them about books so I was quickly able to see who is truly reading and who isn't reading.  It also gave me the opportunity to offer individualized immediate feedback for them to apply right away.  I have been able to learn my students as readers and see what their specific needs are.  I hope to become more comfortable with taking notes during conferencing.  I feel like writing the whole time takes away from the relationship that can be built during conferencing.  I do however, see the need to keep records so I can see how much my students are growing in reading.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are working this out to be what you need and what works best for your students. Conferencing during independent reading time was always the best way for me. I struggled for a while trying to get a system of documentation but finally found my groove with that too as I'm sure you will. The best thing is that you are getting to know your students as readers which will help them make meaningful connections to text instead of just reading the words. That will help them now and in future grades. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you are using your students as mentors for each other! Keeping records during conferencing helps us see our readers more clearly, but it is a challenge to find a format that works for each person. I tried several different versions, even in 1 year--and am still searching for what works best for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete