Monday, November 16, 2015

Jenny Blanton Chapter 9 Emphasize Shared Reading

It has been 10 years since I was in a regular clasrsoom, and I previously taught math so a lot of this Literacy lingo seems foreign to me.  I have heard people talk about shared reading, but I just wasn't sure how that fit into my curriculum.  It was interesting to me how she pointed out in this chapter that it should be an integral part of your reading program on a regular basis. She even feels it should be used in the upper grades. Research has shown that it improves reading achievement so it seems logical that it is something I would want to include in my daily reading.  It also helps the teacher and student bond.  It seems so simple that the teacher reads aloud and the students read along.  However I like how she gives specific examples and a walk through of exactly how it can work.  It allows for reflection, student interaction and high level thinking skills.  On top of that students enjoy reading together and feel a sense of success.  I like that it can be used as a whole group, partners,or small groups.  I had never really considered this something that I should spend a lot of time on, but after reading this chapter I really want to make it apart of my reading instruction.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that shared reading can be a powerful part of your balanced literacy classroom. Often it is overlooked but like a read aloud, shared reading can foster a sense of community, allow for a lot of teacher modeling, and access to text that may be higher than the independent reading level of your students. I would love to see this in action in your classroom. Please let me know when I can stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shared reading confused me at first too, and then I realized it was a fancy word for some of the reading experiences we were already doing in our classroom. It's always an adventure to unpack that literacy lingo! :-)

    ReplyDelete