Sunday, November 29, 2015

Lindsey Harris Blog #3-Chapter 5


While reading chapter 5, “Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library”, one quote really jumped out at me...”Classroom libraries are a literacy necessity; they are integral to successful teaching and learning and must become a top priority if our students are to become thriving, engaged readers.”  Four years ago I realized that my students were not using our classroom books.  Each group had a basket of books by their desk they could read when they had finished their work, but rarely did I ever see them get books from here.  They would normally read a library book or pull a textbook out of their desk to read.  After some self-reflection I quickly realized that while I had an inviting reading area with comfortable seating, there was one very important component missing...BOOKS!!  At that moment I decided to change my classroom reading area and I am so glad I did! 

            Routman said, “It is difficult to maintain a strong independent reading program without an excellent classroom library.”  I totally and whole heartedly believe in this quote.  While my classroom library may not be perfect, I did notice a change in my personal reading program once I had a well-organized and appealing library.  My library now has labeled baskets based off genres and is organized on a long multi-shelf book case.  This allows for my students to easily pick a book based off their interest.  I have leveled each book within the genre baskets, but students are always encouraged to find books on their reading level.  They do this by using the fiver finger test we learned during a mini-lesson at the beginning of the year.  In addition to my reading center, which holds our classroom library, rug, lamp, and two chairs, I also have a variety of seating options (carpet squares, rockers, and different types of chairs) throughout the classroom to provide my students with various “book nooks”.  I have noticed a huge difference in my students desire to read, engagement in reading over a period of time, and reading ability.  I am now able to use my classroom library for independent reading time which allows me time to meet with a small group or conference with individual students.  This has been one the best things I have done for my classroom and students in my teaching career.      

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds so wonderful and inviting for the students to relax and enjoy reading. We all know that children will not do things unless they like it, so it is truly wonderful that you recognized the need and made the change. Thankfully your investment is paying off and will continue to serve your students well beyond this school year because they will leave as motivated readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stepping back and reflecting can lead to amazing changes--your classroom library sounds like a wonderful place!!

    ReplyDelete