Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Leigh Holliday, Blog 2:  Ch. 5:  Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library (Routman)

When I began my Master’s Program at Converse five years ago, I began to shop for books for my “one day” very own classroom. I began to make frequent stops at the local thrift stores, yard sales on Saturday mornings, and taking advantage of the Kohl’s Cares program. Over the span of getting my teaching certificate and becoming a new kindergarten teacher, my collection of books have increased. However it wasn’t until last spring when I began to think about truly setting up a classroom library.
Routman states that classroom libraries are a literacy necessity if we want students to become thriving, engaged readers. When students have easy access to books in a well-designed, organized, ample library they will read more. When our classroom libraries are well-stocked with high interest books, series books, comic and picture books in addition to magazines—all that have engaging texts with lots of illustrations will help even the struggling readers become successful. Routman encourage educators to take a critical look at your classroom library. She has many great suggestions to make your library central and vital. This year I have focused on her emphasis of an inviting area where children can comfortable sit and read. I have provided big chairs, pillows, and an area of children’s books. My hope is that my children will love to go to the reading center and find a plethora of choices and books. Whether it’s their favorite stories, nonfiction (oh, they love animals), alphabet, math concept, or Nursery Rhymes books I want them to feel a whole new world awaits them each day. 


It stunned me when Routman says an excellent library will have more than a thousand books in their classroom library. I have never actually counted but it’s nowhere near a thousand. I have so many more books that I want and need. Thankfully, our PTO is willing to provide books for our classrooms and there are other ways to continue to add to our classroom library. The variety of choices increases reading motivation and engagement. Routman says don’t take lightly because “reading comprehension test scores are more influenced by students’ amount of engaged reading than any other single factor.” This truth is encouraging as an educator because if our students are able to understand they will understand across the curriculum. My goal as I provide a rich classroom library is to instill the love of learning for my young learners!

1 comment:

  1. I truly agree that our classroom libraries are a necessity. Just like the heart of the classroom, students should feel connected and cared for by the books and the accessibility of them. Just as I revel in the aisle of Barnes & Noble, I wanted my students to feel comfortable looking through and finding what excited them when they "shopped" in our classroom library. What a simple pleasure and we know, a great reward!

    ReplyDelete