Monday, September 7, 2015

Suzanne Lee August Blog Post 1: Is There Enough Time? And Is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?

This is my 22nd year of teaching and I have indeed been a “bench guarder”. There are so many types of instruction that I do because I have inferred that I should be teaching the subject matter in this way.  Oh yes, I have gathered all 20 students to a bright colorful square, done calendar with enthusiasm, and had them  parrot the days of the week.  Yep, I too have dressed the bear (or other object) to match the weather.  Is it fun? Yes!  Is it totally bad? No.  But, I really do think students know what to wear in each season.  If not, maybe I can address this on the way to recessJ

As I read this first section, I started marking in the margins and reflecting about my instruction…reflecting on the good, the bad, the ugly.  Since I have taught kindergarten, I realize that a couple of benches that I could stop guarding are calendar time and the lengthy letter lessons that involve a book, an anchor chart, and several more activities.  Yes, I will still teach letters and sounds, but I will do so more wisely.  As a matter of fact, I have been doing some whole group Blendspace letter activities, doing a quick review in small groups, and letter charts in the Writing center.  You should hear the conversations going on about letters.

I know it sounds like I am in church, but I have been set free!  I have been given permission to “LET IT GO” through Balanced Literacy.
Yes, in years past I participated in SSR.  Well, not really.  I acted like I was reading, prayed they would be quiet, and tried to get a bit of work done.  No, I never really thought that I had to model anything but acting like I was reading.    I implemented the Daily Five last year.  After reading this first section, I realize that I have been on the right track.  Using the anchor charts, MODELING right, wrong, right, and other minilessons have helped students understand what good reading looks like…what it is.  Right now we are working on stamina and I am being the silent “watcher.”    We then gather back on the carpet and discuss what happened, how it looked.  This parallels what Miler discusses in this section.  It is the foundation which will become the evidence she speaks of on page 7.  I cannot wait to start having the conversations about what they are reading.

I know that I am on a track with many more obstacles to overcome…but at least I feel as if I have the gear it takes to make it to the finish line!  Hopefully, as a district, we will take our time to learn how to use this gear effectively and not  become bogged down with more “programs” that become benches.


5 comments:

  1. I love how you describe being a "bench guarder" which we all have been at some point. I was the "standards queen" when I first started in this profession. Maybe we guard and cling to the concrete until we come to that higher understanding. The permission we finally give ourselves to do what in our hearts is better and trust that we can provide well for our students by knowing them, loving them, and helping them with all that we are and all that we have to offer--no programs attached!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Suzanne about the new programs that always seem to be implemented. It is almost impossible to implement them all and implement them effectively. That is where our priorities must come in and we choose what is best for our classroom and our kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! Programs come and programs go but real reading and real writing is where real learning take place. Your classroom is a great example of that!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you Suzanne about the new programs that always seem to be implemented. It is almost impossible to implement them all and implement them effectively. That is where our priorities must come in and we choose what is best for our classroom and our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts Suzanne. There are a lot of things you do just have to let go. I am definitely learning that this year. I totally agree about the programs too. No program can know what is best for each kid. Only we know that. We can't use a one size fits all approach.

    ReplyDelete