Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Lynette Richau Blog Post 7: Routman Ch. 3 Share Your Reading Life

Share Your Reading Life...
This seems extremely simple yet after reading Routman's chapter on the importance of doing this and why, I can understand the positive impact this would have.  I will admit I get VERY excited about books...passionate I would say, and I do love to share that with my students.  I get excited when I go to Barnes and Noble and pick out a new book for us to read.  I enjoy telling the students why I chose a particular book.  It usually has to do with phenomenal illustrations.  I can't help it, I am absolutely drawn to them.  But I LOVE books...everything about them.  If you came into my classroom that is one thing you would be able to tell right away.  If I invest in anything it's books.  I share the same passion as Routman and I loved when she said, "But I love owning the book, holding it in my hand, arranging it on a shelf, referring to it, taking it out ans flipping through the pages, admiring the cover, just looking as it and knowing it's there" (pg. 27).  I totally understand!!  One of the most memorable times for me this year was taking the kids to the library and them getting so excited about various books they found.  They couldn't wait to get back to the classroom to read them and then they were talking and sharing...it was magical, truly.  I hoped in that moment that my love was contagious and had rubbed off even if only in some small way.  After reading this chapter though next year I will take Sharing My Reading Life to a whole new level! Routman's book is so user friendly and the try it and apply it sections are great.  The step by step guides and the examples are so extremely helpful.

One thing I never thought to do is keep a reading record of my own.  This is something I am going to start so that next school year I can share that with my students as well.  I will carefully model this at the beginning of the year so we can create this important record together throughout the year.

Loved this chapter.

3 comments:

  1. My kids get so excited when they see me reading during their independent reading time. They loved to know that I am keeping up with the Diary of the Wimpy Kid series too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also inspired by Routman to create my own reading journal. It helps me to remember books that I've read and recommend them to students, but it is also a good record of professional reading as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your passion for books is evident and contagious!

    ReplyDelete